The 12th Annual International Film Festival, presented by the Monterey Bay Chapter of the USA-United Nations Association (UNA), is happening this weekend at the historic and beautiful Golden State Theatre, on 417 Alvarado Street, downtown Monterey.
Admission is $5 per session of films, with FREE admission for all students with ID.
While the topics are serious in nature — and perhaps some will be hard to watch— it is a super deal to see interesting and educational, documentary films from around the globe! Some may even call us into action…
Note that on Saturday afternoon, the City of Monterey is offering FREE parking in the parking garage behind Wells Fargo Bank, at Franklin and Tyler. Enter the lot, take a ticket, and on your way out just say you have been at the International FIlm Festival.
Here is the schedule:
Thursday evening, November 3, 7:00 pm
- Humanity Explored – 7 min – many countries –
- The Warriors of Qiugang – 39 min – China — www.warriorsofqiugang.com
- Benghazi Rising – 53 min – Libya — http://www.journeyman.tv/61643/documentaries/benghazi-rising.html
- Triangle Returns – 9 min – US, Bangladesh — http://www.globallabourrights.org/campaigns?id=0033
- The Price of Sex – 73 min – Moldova, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Dubai — http://priceofsex.org/
Friday evening, November 4, 7:00 pm
- Poster Girl — 38 min – US, Iraq — www.postergirlthemovie.com
- Which Way Home – 63 min – Mexico, US, Guatemala, Honduras — http://www.whichwayhome.net
- Blood in the Mobile – 82 min – Congo, Finland — http://www.bloodinthemobile.org
Saturday afternoon, November 5, 1:00 pm
- The 10 Conditions of Love – 54 min – China, US
- Strangers No More – 40 min – Israel — www.strangersnomoremovie.com
- Killing in the Name – 39 min – Jordan, Indonesia — http://www.globalsn.net/content.aspx?menu=main&pageid=6
- Sarabah – 60 min – Senegal, Germany — www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c811.shtml
Saturday evening, November 5, 7:00 pm
- The Dark Side of Chocolate – 46 min – Ivory Coast, Mali — www.thedarksideofchocolate.org
- Sun City Picture House – 27 min – Haiti — www.suncitypicturehouse.com
- Gasland – 106 min – US — www.gaslandthemovie.com
The mission of the UNA – Monterey Bay Chapter “is to build understanding and support for the ideals and vital work of the United Nations, in and near Monterey County”. Further, they are
Dedicated to the same concerns that led the people and the nations of the world to create the United Nations after World War II:
- Human rights for all people
- Combating World Poverty
- Resolving conflicts through peaceful means
- Protection of the world’s environment
To learn more about the Monterey Bay chapter of the United Nations Association, visit their website at www.unamontereybay.org.